Black Pepper Yogurt Biscuits with Pimento Cheese, Country Ham and FAGE Total
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
6 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
½ cup plus 2 tbsp FAGE Total 5%, very cold
⅓ cup plus 2 tbsp cold Whole milk
1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
Optional: ½ tsp salt
1 cup coarsely grated white cheddar cheese
1 cup coarsely grated yellow cheddar cheese
4 piquillo peppers, finely diced, or ¼ cup finely diced roasted red peppers
⅛ tsp cayenne powder (or more if you like it spicier)
¾ cup FAGE Total 5%
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp finely ground black pepper
¼ pound thinly sliced country ham
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Once dry ingredients are mixed, add cold unsalted butter and combine until ingredients form a dough mixture. Stir together ⅓ cup of the milk and ½ cup of FAGE Total in a separate small bowl and whisk until smooth. Add the milk and FAGE Total mixture to the dough mixture in the large bowl, and gently fold to combine.
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured counter. Pat the dough into a rectangle about ¾-inch thick. Use a 2-inch round cutter to cut out the biscuits. Press together the scraps of dough, and repeat process to make 6 to 8 biscuits. Put the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Mix together the remaining 2 tablespoons of FAGE Total and 2 tablespoons of milk in a small bowl. Brush the tops with the remaining milk and FAGE Total mixture and sprinkle with the black pepper. Bake the biscuits for 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Whisk together the cheese, peppers, cayenne powder, FAGE Total, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until combined.
- Optional: Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- To serve: Slice biscuits in half, put a dollop of the pimento