FAGE Total Greek Yogurt Macaroni and Cheese
8 oz elbow macaroni
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup onion, finely diced
1 cup red pepper, finely diced
1 tsp salt, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup whole milk, warm
1 cup FAGE Total 5%, divided
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp tabasco sauce
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add elbow macaroni and cook for 4 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking.
- Warm the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Add red pepper and salt and continue cooking until vegetables soften. Remove from heat and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 2 quart casserole.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add flour, stir and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in warm milk and 1/2 cup of FAGE Total, whisking constantly to keep smooth.
- Add nutmeg.
- Bring to a low simmer and remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 1/4 cups of cheddar cheese.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup of FAGE Total and tabasco.
- Combine macaroni, onion mix and cheese sauce and transfer to prepared casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Combine remaining cheddar cheese, feta and bread crumbs. Remove casserole from oven and top with crumb/cheese mix. Return to oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
<br> <br>Additional Notes: Recipe created by Edward Magel on behalf of FAGE Total Greek Yogurt. Photo by Yder Laya.