Four Cheese Italian Macaroni and Cheese Cups
2/3 Cup FAGE Total 2%
4 Tablespoon finely shredded parmesan cheese, divided
2 Tablespoon panko
2 Teaspoon minced fresh thyme, divided
2 Teaspoon butter, melted
6 Ounce elbow macaroni
1 Tablespoon olive oil
6 Ounce hot Italian sausage, casing removed
2 Tablespoon minced onion
2 Teaspoon butter
1 Teaspoon minced garlic
4 Ounce shredded mozzarella cheese
3 Ounce shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
2 Ounce shredded fontina cheese
1/4 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 Teaspoon lemon juice
4 Ounce grape tomatoes, diced
2 Teaspoon chopped Greek peppers, seeds removed
1/2 Teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a standard muffin tin, spray 6 of the muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a small bowl, place 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, the panko, 1 teaspoon thyme and the melted butter. Mix to combine; set aside.
- Bring 2-3 quarts of water to a rolling boil over high heat, add in the macaroni and salt to taste, and cook according to package directions; drain; set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in the Italian sausage and onion and cook until sausage is no longer pink, approximately 5 minutes, being sure to break up into small pieces as it cooks; drain; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in the garlic, cook for 1 minute. Add in the yogurt, stir to combine; add in the remaining 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese and fontina cheese and stir until melted.
- Add in the nutmeg, lemon juice, remaining 1 teaspoon thyme, stir to fully combine and until cheese sauce is smooth; remove from heat (mixture will be very thick).
- Add in the reserved macaroni, reserved Italian sausage, the tomatoes, Greek peppers, salt and pepper and mix to fully combine.
- Transfer macaroni and cheese into the prepared 6 muffin cups, packing mac and cheese firmly and slightly over the top of the muffin cup.
- Sprinkle with reserved panko mixture.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes, until heated through and golden brown.
Remove from oven, let sit for 5 minutes to set.
<br> <br>Additional Notes: Created by Debbie Reid, contest winner.