Greek Yogurt-Marinated Fried Chicken
A jazzed up version of your average Fried Chicken.
2 cups FAGE Total 5%, FAGE Total 2%, or FAGE Total 0%
½ cup water
1 tsp fine sea salt
4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
4 bone-in skin-on chicken breasts, cut in half crosswise
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup cornstarch
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
6 large eggs, well-beaten
8 cups canola oil or preferred high-heat oil
Chopped fresh cilantro
- Marinade: In a large mixing bowl, whisk to combine FAGE Total, water, and salt. Combine chicken with marinade, toss to coat, and marinate, covered and refrigerated, 6–12 hours.
- Fried Chicken: In a large bowl whisk to combine flour, cornstarch, cumin, oregano, salt, cayenne, and black pepper. Have eggs ready in a second large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Heat oil to 350℉ in a large, heavy pot such as a Dutch oven. Oil should be at least 2” deep--if needed, add more oil. Remove chicken from marinade and wipe off excess yogurt with your fingers. Dip chicken lightly in egg, then dredge in flour mixture to coat well.
- When oil reaches 350℉, carefully lower the chicken pieces in batches into the oil. Do not crowd the pan. Cook slowly until golden brown, turning to brown the chicken evenly on all sides. When well browned, 8–12 minutes, remove and transfer to a rack on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Place baking sheet in the oven.
- Repeat frying process with all remaining chicken pieces.
- Check chicken pieces for doneness (the internal temperature should be 165℉ and when cut into the meat juices should run clear). If chicken is not completely done, return to oven until cooked through.
- To Serve: Serve chicken hot from the oven drizzled with honey and sprinkled with cilantro.