Lamb Shank with Tomatoes and Garlic FAGE Total Greek Yogurt
1 cup FAGE Total 5%
Zest of 1 lemon
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp each salt and black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
4 lamb shanks
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
5 1/2 cup dry white wine
1 lamb or chicken stock cube
2 cups tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp caster sugar
2 bay leaves
1-2 tbsp fresh oregano (or 1 tbsp dried)
3/8 cup kalamata olives
3/4 artichoke halves
For the garlic yogurt:
2 garlic cloves
Paprika for dusting
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of FAGE Total Classic into a bowl and stir in the lemon zest, garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, seasoning and cumin. Toss in the lamb shanks and stir well. Set aside for at least 1 hour to marinate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan then fry the meat in batches until browned. Lift from the pan, add the remaining oil then fry the onion until tender.
- Pour in the wine and stir well to release any sediment from the base of the pan and stir in all the remaining ingredients, except for the olives and the artichokes.
- Cover the pan and leave to simmer for 2 hours until the meat is tender, then stir in the olives and artichokes and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Stir the garlic into the remaining yogurt and chill.
Serve the lamb topped with a spoonful of the garlic yogurt and dust with paprika.
<br> <br>Additional Notes: This lamb shank is tenderized in a marinade of FAGE Total Classic and spices, then simmered with fresh tomatoes, wine and fresh oregano. It makes an unusual change from the more obvious Mediterranean casseroles from France. Serve with a side salad and a rice pilaf made by simmering rice in stock with finely chopped onion, fresh parsley and toasted flaked almonds.