Yiayia’s Pelargonium-Scented Yogurt Cake
1 lb flour
7.9 oz soft butter
7.9 oz sugar
7.9 oz FAGE Total 5%
4 eggs, separated
A handful of skinned almonds
2 level tsp baking powder
Half a level tsp bicarbonate of soda
Half a tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease a cake tin, and put 3 or 4 rose- or orange-scented pelargonium leaves on the base.
- Sieve together the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Beat the butter very well and, still beating, gradually add the sugar, followed by the vanilla extract.
- Then, add the egg yolks one by one, beating each one in thoroughly before adding the next, continuing until the mixture is shiny – about 3 minutes or so. Stir in the yogurt, followed by the flour mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks, and then fold gently into the mixture with a metal spoon.
- Put into the cake tin and sprinkle the almonds on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a metal skewer pushed into the middle of the cake comes out clean.