Chocolate Chip Braided Bread with FAGE Total
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1 3/8 pastry flour
1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baker’s yeast
3/8 cup granulated sugar
1 cup FAGE Total 5%, 2%, or 0%
1 vanilla bean, sliced and seeds extracted
4 tbsp butter, softened
½ tsp Salt
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp nib sugar
Powdered sugar, garnish
- First, freeze the chocolate chips for at least 1 hour.
- Combine the 2 flours with the yeast in a mixing bowl and beat thoroughly.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together 2 eggs with the granulated sugar, FAGE Total and vanilla extract, then add to the flour mixture.
- When all the ingredients are combined, remove the blade from the mixer, mount the hook and let the machine work until the dough is wrapped around the hook and detached from the bowl. Then, add the cubes of butter 1 at a time, waiting until each cube is fully absorbed before adding the next. 2 minutes before switching off the machine, add the frozen chocolate chips and blend them in.
- Next, turn the dough out onto a surface dusted with flour and form a ball by taking each and folding it inward, then turning upside down to close the join underneath. Put the ball into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place for about 3 hours.
- Roll the dough into a cylinder and cut into 9 pieces. Form a strand from each piece by rolling the dough between your palms.
- Take 3 strands at a time and weave into a braid. Place braids onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Leave to rise for ½ hour in a warm place without drafts.
Glaze the braids with 1 beaten egg and dust with nib sugar. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes (or until golden brown).
Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.