Country Bread with Poached Pears and FAGE Total
1 cup red wine
1 cup water
½ cup sugar
4 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
4 Bartlett pears, not too ripe
Toasted slices of country bread
1 cup FAGE Total 5%, 2%, or 0%
¼ cup toasted walnuts
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine red wine, water, sugar, star anise and cinnamon sticks over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, about 10 minutes. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and add pears to saucepan.
- Simmer on medium-high heat, turning occasionally. Cook pears for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Remove pears from liquid and set aside to cool.
- Continue to simmer the poaching liquid, reducing to a syrup like consistency.
- Spread FAGE Total on sliced bread. Top with poached sliced pears and nuts. Drizzle poaching liquid on top of pears. Serve and enjoy.