1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded carrots
1 ½ cup green salsa or salsa verde
Salt and pepper to taste
4 ½ cups masa harina or instant corn masa flour
½ tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
¾ cup olive oil
2 ¾ cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
8-ounce package dried corn husks
FAGE Sour cream, as a topping
Limes, cut into wedges
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and soak the corn husks for 30 minutes.
- Heat a medium size skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, chicken, onion, carrots and, green salsa. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Using the paddle of a stand mixer, beat masa harina, baking powder, salt, and olive oil at low speed until just combined. Add broth and increase the speed to medium and beat for 10 minutes.
- Assemble the tamales by spreading ¼- ½ cup of masa mix on the middle of corn husk.
- Add about a tablespoon of filling to the center of the masa.
- Fold the bottom edge of the husk over to the center and roll the edges to make a cylinder shape. Tie the tamales with baking string. Repeat until all the masa and filling is used up.
- Add an inch of water into a large pot, add steamer basket and add the tamales in a standing position.
- Steam at medium-high heat for 35 minutes. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately with sour cream, avocado, salsa, and lime wedges.