Spiced Baked Apples with FAGE Total
Spiced Baked Apples:
4 large Honey Crisp, Gala, Golden Delicious, Macintosh apples or any other variety
¼ cup golden raisins
¼ cup dried currants
¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp cinnamon
2 cinnamon sticks
1-inch strip of lemon zest
1-inch knob of ginger, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
½ cup apple cider
FAGE Total Topping:
1 cup FAGE Total 5%, 2%, or 0%
¼ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ginger
- With a small paring knife, remove the core of the apple and a small cavity from the top.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the golden raisins, dried currants, dark brown sugar, ground ginger and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Spoon the mixutre into the apples, dividing mixture equally between the 4 apples. Place in a small baking dish or 8x8-inch cake pan.
- In a small pot, over medium-high heat, add the ½ cup of apple cider, lemon zest, ginger and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture is a syrup like consistensy. Pour the syrup ingredients into the baking dish over the apples and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until apples are tender to the touch of a fork.
- Place apples on a serving plate.
- Pour the syrup from the bottom of the baking dish into a small saucepan over medium-high heat and reduce by half or until slightly syrupy. Cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine FAGE Total, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and mix well. Let sit in refrigerator until needed.
- Pour some of the syrup over each apple, top with a dollop of the FAGE Total topping and serve warm.