Strawberry Shortcake with Lemony Yogurt
No need to skip dessert. Replace the heavy cream with yogurt for a lighter twist. A touch of lemon flavor is the perfect finishing touch to this delicious sweet treat.
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
4 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into small pieces
¼ cup FAGE Total 2% or FAGE Total 5%
½ cup milk
6 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
¼ cup sugar
Sweet Yogurt Topping
2 cups FAGE Total 5%, FAGE Total 2% or FAGE Total 0%
4 tablespoons honey or sugar
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 zest of lemon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a stand-alone blender, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add butter, yogurt, and milk. Mix on a low speed until it forms small clumps. Scrape dough out of bowl and knead on a floured surface to form a ball. Roll out dough with a rolling pin to ¾ inch thick and cut with 2 ½ inch circle cookie cutters.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown on the center rack. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix strawberries and sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In another medium bowl, mix yogurt, honey, vanilla, lemon juice and zest.
- Split shortcakes in half, spoon strawberry mixture and top with yogurt topping. Serve immediately.