2 cups all-purpose flour, extra for dusting the surface
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, cubed
½ cup FAGE Sour Cream or FAGE Total 5% Greek Yogurt
7 medium sized apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
¾ cup FAGE Sour Cream or FAGE Total 5% Greek Yogurt
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add butter to the flour mixture and pulse again until coarse crumbs form.
- Add sour cream or Greek yogurt and pulse until the mixture starts to adhere but is still crumbly.
- Remove mixture from the food processor and place onto a floured surface. Using your hands, gather up the mixture and work it into a ball. Divide the ball into two pieces and wrap each piece with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- While dough is chilling, preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium size bowl, combine all the ingredients for the apple filling. Set aside.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour onto a clean surface and roll out the dough using a rolling pin to two 12” circles. Place one pastry into a pie pan. Cut the second pastry into twelve equal strips (about 1-inch wide).
- Spoon apple filling into the pie pan and arrange 6 strips across the pie. Form lattice by arranging 6 strips diagonally across the first strips. Press ends into crust edges. Brush lattice with water or egg wash and sprinkle on additional sugar.
- Bake pie for 15 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and continue baking for an additional 1 hour and 15 minutes or until apples are soft.