¼ cup butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon mustard
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
1 carrot, julienned
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup whole milk
Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Serve with crusty bread and extra yogurt.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and flour and whisk together for another minute.
- Whisk in stock, salt, black pepper, mustard, and nutmeg. Cook for a few minutes until all the flour is incorporated into the stock.
- Add broccoli and carrot and cook at medium/low heat for about 15 minutes. Reserve a few broccoli pieces to garnish the soup.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup to desired consistency.
- Stir in cheese, milk, and yogurt until well combined.
- Serve topped with yogurt, pepper flakes, and reserved broccoli pieces.