½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
½ cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 medium apples, washed and thinly sliced
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup FAGE Sour Cream, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Spray a 9 1/2“ round spring form pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange sliced apples in a circular pattern and top with the butter sugar mixture. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat butter and sugar until it’s light and creamy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time until it is well incorporated. Slowly mix in sour cream, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Slowly pour the dry ingredients a little bit at a time into the wet ingredients at low speed until all the ingredients are combined.
- Spread the batter over the apples evenly.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool for 15 minutes.
- Scrap the edges of the cake with a knife, release the spring form, and carefully invert the cake onto a plate or cake stand.