5-6 slices of bacon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken stock or broth
2 ½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces
2 cups milk
1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, extra for garnish
1 cup FAGE Sour Cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Topping options: sour cream, bacon, shredded cheese, chives, or scallion
- Heat a Dutch oven or a large stockpot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Wait a few minutes to cool and crumble into pieces. Set aside.
- Remove half of the bacon grease and add butter and onion to the pot and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and flour and stir until it forms a peanut butter colored paste.
- Add chicken stock and potatoes and cook at medium-low heat for 25-30 minutes or until the potato is soft.
- Turn off the heat. Using an immersion blender, blend until half of the potato is pureed. If using a blender, scoop half the soup and blend until smooth and place back into the stockpot.
- Stir in milk, cheddar cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- Serve with soup with extra cheese, sour cream, bacon, and chives.